• Arbacia lixula and Paracentrotus lividus were differently affected by low pH exposure.
• P. lividus skeleton integrity was not affected by low pH.
• Arbacia lixula exposed to low pH near CO2 vent showed decreased skeletal integrity.
• pH exposure leads to changes in biomineralization-related genes expression.
• Acid-base regulation capacity is linked with a better tolerance to low pH.
Giglio S. D., Spatafora D., Milazzo M., M’Zoudi S., Zito F., Dubois P. & Costa C., in press. Are control of extracellular acid-base balance and regulation of skeleton genes linked to resistance to ocean acidification in adult sea urchins? Science of The Total Environment. Article (subscription required).