Organization: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Reference Code: EPA-ORD-CPHEA-PESD-2020-05
EPA Office/Lab and Location: A research training opportunity is available at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Office of Research and Development (ORD), Center for Public Health and Environmental Assessment (CPHEA), Pacific Ecological Systems Division (PESD) in Newport, Oregon.
Research Project: The research participant will participate in a research project focused on assessing the role of land-based drivers of coastal acidification in estuaries of the United States. The project will utilize existing and novel biogeochemical, spatial, and model data to evaluate the patterns and trends of estuarine acidification in estuaries around the U.S. This research project will help inform a vulnerability assessment of U.S. estuaries to land-based sources of acidification, including the roles of eutrophication and land use change. Activities that the research participant may be involved in include:
- Field activities including sampling streams and estuaries for water chemistry, and servicing water quality instrumentation.
- Compiling and analyzing datasets of stream and estuarine water quality (including nutrients, pH, alkalinity, and stable isotopes), land use, and other relevant indicators of land-based sources of acidification.
- Compiling scientific literature relevant to the project.
- Collaborating with government and academic researchers to help develop hydrodynamic and biogeochemical models of coastal and estuarine systems.
- Contributing to scientific manuscripts and presentations on this research project, including opportunities for presenting at scientific conferences.
Learning Objectives: The research participant will have the opportunity to gain knowledge by collaborating with a multidisciplinary team of EPA researchers. Through regular interactions with this team, the research participant will gain experience with conducting field work and maintaining water quality monitoring instrumentation, collecting water quality samples, analyzing samples, compiling and analyzing large datasets, laboratory management, following quality assurance protocols, and preparing reports and presentations. The research participant will have an opportunity to communicate their findings through publication of manuscripts and participation in scientific conferences. The research participant is encouraged to collaborate on writing of manuscripts for publication and project reports.