Deadline for applications: 10 January 2017
The Ocean Acidification Program at Mote Marine Laboratory seeks a staff chemist with a minimum 2 years experience with experimental seawater ocean acidification facilities. This position will be located in Summerland Key, Florida at the Mote Tropical Research Laboratory (Mote TRL).
General duties to be performed include working with OAFTERU (Ocean Acidification Flow Thru Experimental Raceway Units) at Mote TRL. This includes maintaining the water system, keeping track of and ordering all supplies and materials, running alkalinity, dissolved inorganic carbon, and other water quality parameters, maintaining the dry ocean acidification (OA) laboratory, keeping all OA-related work organized, data entry, sample collection, and some field work. This position has the possibility for proposal and publication writing.
The staff chemist will also be responsible for mentoring student interns year round. This position might require longer days and some weekend work. Travel to the main lab in Sarasota, Florida is possible. Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs. and must be able to work in a hot/outdoor environment. Open water SCUBA required, AAUS SCUBA preferred.
- B.S required, M.S preferred. Preferably with a chemistry or ocean acidification background.
- Knowledge of coral reef ecosystems.
- Facility with standard computer software, data handling applications such as R and database management.
- U.S. citizenship or foreign citizen’s U.S. work permit appropriate for the work is required.
- Knowledge of ocean acidification, CO2Sys software, monitoring equipment.
- Previous laboratory and experimental systems experience, especially with carbonate chemistry instruments
- Familiar with marine organism experimental testing equipment (tanks, pumps, filters, heaters, etc.)
- Familiar with organism life support for ocean acidification testing
- Ability to move, live and work in a remote location (Florida Keys)
- Willing to work with groups from other institutions
- Open water SCUBA required, AAUS Scuba preferred
- Boat handling skills preferred
Interested applicants should submit as a single electronic file, 1) a cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) the names and contact information for three references, before 5pm January 10, 2017 to HumanResources(at)mote.org.
Alternatively, a single package of all requested elements may be submitted to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Additional questions can be directed to the Ocean Acidification Program Manager, Dr. Emily Hall (emily8(at)mote.org).